Date:	Fri, 22 Aug 2008 13:55:35 -0600
From:	"John P Poet" <jppoet@...il.com>
To:	"Francois Romieu" <romieu@...zoreil.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Realtek 8111C transmit timed out

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:28 PM, John P Poet <jppoet@...il.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:31 PM, Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com> wrote:
>> John P Poet <jppoet@...il.com> :
>> [...]
>>> That does not make any difference.
>>>
>>> I will say, that the problem seems to be reduced by this patch (or the
>>> 0002-r8169-avoid-thrashing-PCI-conf-space-above-RTL_GIGA.patch).
>>>
>>> Before, I was getting failures two or three times an hour.  With
>>> either of these patches applied, the failure rate has dropped to one
>>> every two to four hours.
>>
>> I have updated the kit at http://userweb.kernel.org/~romieu/r8169/2.6.27-rc2
>>
>> Can you give it a try ?
>
> At first I *just* applied 20080807-r8169-test.patch, but the NIC did
> not initialize during boot.  So, I also applied
> 0002-r8169-avoid-thrashing-PCI-conf-space-above-RTL_GIGA.patch.  After
> that, it booted okay.
>
> However, in general use it is much worse.  May just be bad luck (or
> something in the 2.26.2 kernel?), but the timeout message are rampant:
>
> Aug  7 21:14:58 saphire kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
> Aug  7 21:14:58 saphire kernel: r8169: eth0: link up
>

> John

Any other ideas on this problem?  I am wondering if most people are
not complaining about it, because it is probably not noticeable for
web browsing (web browsing naturally has latencies involved).  It is a
killer for streaming stuff in "real time" between two machines,
though.

On my current machine with a 8111C NIC, I have disabled that NIC and
bought an Intel e1000 PCIe NIC.  That has solved the problem on that
computer, but I want to build another computer, and it seems like all
the new motherboards have the Realtek 8111C on them.

Should I try the "official" driver from Realtek?  How hard is it to integrate?

Thanks,

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.