Date:	Thu, 25 Sep 2008 09:44:45 +0300
From:	"Rami Rosen" <roszenrami@...il.com>
To:	"David Stevens" <dlstevens@...ibm.com>
Cc:	"Pekka Savola" <pekkas@...core.fi>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev-owner@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: /proc/net/igmp group address encoding

Hi,

- I had noticed a long ago that the IP addresses under
 /proc/net/igmp are in Hexa format. I am preparing a patch to fix it
and it will be send very soon.

On this occasion -
Regarding "count" column of  /proc/net/igmp :
This is simply a display the mc_count field of the device (number of
installed mcasts on the net_device instance).
Whenever you join an igmp group, you should specify on which
device you wish to join this igmp group. As a result, the counter of
the corresponding device (mc_count of the corresponding net_device) is
incremented.
See; dev_mc_add() in core/dev_mcast.c and
__dev_addr_add() in core/dev.c

As far as I know, there is no difference in current implementation in
this regards when you join an igmp group in IPv4 or in IPv6;
the same dev_mc_add() is called by
igmp6_group_added() (see net/ipv6/mcast.c).

So indeed , the count (mc_count of netdevice) shows both IPv4 and IPv6 igmp
groups, but in current implementation it is not immediate
to change it. Currently, net_device struct does not have specific
fields for ipv4 or ipv6.  One way of preparing a patch
is to change net_device to have mc_count4 and mc_count6;
I am really willing to prepare such a patch, but I am not sure such a
change in net_device is a proper and a justified
change to do.

Any ideas?

Regards,
Rami Rosen