Date:	Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:37:56 -0700
From:	"Graham, David" <david.graham@...el.com>
To:	"Gernot Hillier" <gernot.hillier@...mens.com>
Cc:	<linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Allan, Bruce W" <bruce.w.allan@...el.com>,
	"Hockert, Jeff W" <jeff.w.hockert@...el.com>
Subject: RE: e1000e: sporadic "hardware error"s with Intel 82563EB on Supermicro X7DB3

Hi Gernot,

I think that the system with the SuperMicro IPMI card is configured as
having an "external BMC" from the perspective of the INTEL-based system.
My experience of such configurations is that the IPMI traffic is handled
by the BMC in the card, but routed in/out of the system over the "eth0"
on-motherboard esb2 interface. I looked at the AOC-SIMPL-B card
described in the SuperMicro link you provided and see that it too has an
ethernet interface. I'm not sure if the interface on the card provides a
second IPMI interface to the system, or that IPMI to the mainboard eth0
is disabled. I have IPMI management contacts here in INTEL, and am
trying to find out.

If this system does route IPMI traffic between the SuperMicro card & the
mainboard LAN eth0, the onboard LAN now has two clients, one on the
SuperMicro card, and one in the host OS. INTEL provides APIs to external
BMCs so that they can use the LAN, and hidden behind those APIs is code
to allow each client to operate without having to be aware of the state
of the other. There is a bug in this code that can be exposed when the
host resets the LAN. The bug is resolved by a patch to the API code,
which is applied as an EEPROM update to the system. I am working with
Jeff Hockert & others in-house to find out details of how we are
deploying that EEPROM update.

I continue to review - with help- the information that you have already
provided, to determine whether this system does match the IPMI
configuration that I think it does. I'll keep you up to date.

OK, now for the system without the IPMI card. Probably that one does
have an active INTEL BMC. And, if it does, the core bug that I (sort-of)
explained above is also relevant there, though it's not fixable in the
same way because the buggy code in this case is integrated directly as
part of the INTEL BMC. In this case, you'll need a BMC upgrade. But
first, just like for the other case, I need to confirm that the
configuration is what I think it is.

It would help if you could provide a little more information. Could you
provide (for one of each of the two configurations that you have - one
with the IPMI card, one without):

	lspci -t
	lspci -vvv -xxxx
	ethtool -e eth0
	BIOS "IPMI" menus (I know you already gave us one, but both
would be good)

Thanks

Dave