Date:	Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:02:32 -0800
From:	"Allan, Bruce W" <bruce.w.allan@...el.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"csnook@...hat.com" <csnook@...hat.com>
CC:	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
Subject: RE: [v2,PCI] move ICHx GbE NVM write-protection from e1000e to PCI
 quirk

Well, no, not for every device with an NVRAM; just those LOM parts in the ICH-based family of products that has an unprotected region of NVRAM and a not-so-difficult set of steps necessary to corrupt the NVRAM by taking advantage of that.  By leaving the write-protection in the driver, the NVRAM can still be damaged before the driver loads (as seen with corruptions from ftrace in 2.6.27) or if the driver is never loaded.

Once the NVRAM is write-protected the driver cannot revoke that protection, only a system reset will do that.  The kernel command line option to disable the write protection is so that if/when a user needs to change a value in the NVRAM it can still be done.