Date:	Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:18:43 +0100
From:	"Miguel Ángel Álvarez" <gotzoncabanes@...il.com>
To:	"Francois Romieu" <romieu@...zoreil.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, khc@...waw.pl
Subject: Re: How to use ixp4xx_hss (or generic-hdlc?)

Hi and thanks for the answer.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:24 PM, Francois Romieu <romieu@...zoreil.com> wrote:
> Miguel Ángel Álvarez <gotzoncabanes@...il.com> :
> [...]
>> Is there any kind of tutorials on using generic-hdlc interfaces?
>
> Google + ixp4xx_hss + sethdlc -> first entry

Ummm? Not for me at least. If I do that I only find my previous post
and some information about goramo platform in polish (made by
krzysztof.

> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/net/hdlc/

Yes... I checked that in the beginning, and there is where I found the
need to use sethdlc and the basic processes. (By the way... I do not
have the problem in ifconfig-ing up the interface... I just were
forgetting to so "sethdlc hdlc0 hdlc" previously).

> The DSCC4 mini-HOWTO is rather old but it is imho a decent intro
> if you are a bit lost.

I also checked it, and I found it very illustrating. Good work of
Frantisek (based on yours and Krzysztof's).

I have also taken a look to the code of sethdlc to see how the socket
to the interface was set. He made "sock = socket(PF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM,
IPPROTO_IP);" which I suppose does not care a lot because sethdlc only
uses the socket to send ioctls, and not any data transfers.

However, in my case, I need to send data in a non-IP world using the
interface. So... Is this the way I should open the socket? Would this
encapsulate my data in hdlc before sending it to the interface?

if I open the socket using sock = socket(PF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW,
htons(ETH_P_ALL)); I can send data into the interface, but it is just
sent as raw data (which is logic).

So... yes... I am a bit lost in this point.

Thanks

Miguel Ángel Álvarez