Date:	Fri, 28 Nov 2008 18:28:54 -0500
From:	"Sangtae Ha" <sangtae.ha@...il.com>
To:	"Douglas Leith" <Doug.Leith@...m.ie>
Cc:	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"David Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"Stephen Hemminger" <shemminger@...tta.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] tcp: make H-TCP the default congestion control

I misunderstood the testing scenarios you had, and had a couple of
single flow testings with CUBIC and HTCP under normal links (DSL and
Internet2) and couldn't find out significant difference in completion
times. - HTCP was faster than CUBICv2.1, but not faster than the other
two versions (CUBICv2.2 and 2.3). This might be because I didn't
saturate the link first.

The slow convergence of CUBIC had been addressed through CUBIC v2.1
and CUBIC v2.2 by removing the clamping of CUBIC growth function and
making CUBIC more aggressive for fast convergence.
So, I expect you talk about the latest update (CUBICv2.3) which
integrates a new slow start, called HyStart.

The second parameter of HyStart, which is a delay parameter, is
designed to respect the existing flows.
Which means that the later joining flow starts from the congestion
window where it is believed to be safe not incurring packet losses to
the existing flows.
After that, it tries to share the link progressively (not depriving
all of others bandwidth at once during slow start).

Based on this, the worst scenario I can think of is something like the
testing you had: "Let some flows dominate the link and run a short
flow and measure the completion time of this later-joined flow".
Now I can understand the difference of completion times between CUBIC and H-TCP.
This major performance difference seems like not because of H-TCP
algorithm, but because of HyStart.
This scenario always triggers the second delay parameter on and makes
the second flow exit the slow-start from a very small window.
As the link is already saturated by the first flow, from that small
window, the second flow tries to converge the rate with CUBIC growth
function rather than exponential growth function of slow-start.
Actually, CUBIC growth from this small window is not too slow.

Turning off this delay parameter will give us good convergence time by
sacrificing the stability in a sense that we neglect the possibility
that the later joining flow might incur many packet losses of its own
and other flows and some flows might experience timeouts in some
cases.
I agree that most of cases with small link bandwidth, the current TCP
stack is very efficient for recovering from multiple losses with SACK.
But, in case either one of machine doesn't support SACK, (many)
multiple losses significantly affect their performance.
Also, we have seen that Windows XP clients had some issues with many
packet losses.

As I mentioned in some of previous mails, we always have a choice to
turn off this delay parameter selectively and keep using CUBICv2.2 as
before.

Could you try your testings with the following changes? We definitely
will have testings like you mentioned and post the results.

# the following will only use packet-train detection (not delay detection)
echo "1" > /sys/module/tcp_cubic/parameters/hystart_detect

Regards,
Sangtae