Date:	Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:07:01 +0100
From:	Oliver Neukum <oliver@...kum.org>
To:	"Alexey Klimov" <klimov.linux@...il.com>
Cc:	"David Brownell" <david-b@...bell.net>, davem@...emloft.net,
	"Greg KH" <greg@...ah.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-usb@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch v2] net/usb: remove err() messages in few drivers

Am Tuesday 13 January 2009 11:08:27 schrieb Alexey Klimov:

> >> kaweth in kaweth_disconnect() frees the network device. Therefore
> >> you cannot use it. You'd access freed memory. Pick one of the others
> >> and stay with it.
> >
> > intf->dev is going to be "obviously correct", the others aren't.
> >

> Is this patch touch  kaweth_disconnect() ? I see dev_warn and dev_info
> there. No dev_err.

No, it does not. But you need to make sure that the devices you refer to
in debug messages are always valid. Functions that you do touch may
run after disconnect() has run. A debug message that oopses does no good.
If you cannot make sure you pass a valid device to dev_err/info don't use
them. It is as simple as that.

	Regards
		Oliver