Date:	Mon, 02 Feb 2009 11:48:25 -0500
From:	Kenny Chang <kchang@...enacr.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Multicast packet loss

Neil Horman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 11:41:23PM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>
>> Kenny Chang a écrit :
>>
>>> Ah, sorry, here's the test program attached.
>>>
>>> We've tried 2.6.28.1, but no, we haven't tried the 2.6.28.2 or the
>>> 2.6.29.-rcX.
>>>
>>> Right now, we are trying to step through the kernel versions until we
>>> see where the performance drops significantly.  We'll try 2.6.29-rc soon
>>> and post the result.
>>>
>> 2.6.29-rc contains UDP receive improvements (lockless)
>>
>> Problem is multicast handling was not yet updated, but could be :)
>>

>> I was asking you "cat /proc/interrupts" because I believe you might
>> have a problem NIC interrupts being handled by one CPU only (when having problems)
>>

> That would be expected (if irqbalance is running), and desireable, since
> spreading high volume interrupts like NICS accross multiple cores (or more
> specifically multiple L2 caches), is going increase your cache line miss rate
> significantly and decrease rx throughput.
>
> Although you do have a point here, if the system isn't running irqbalance, and
> the NICS irq affinity is spread accross multiple L2 caches, that would be a
> point of improvement performance-wise.
>
> Kenny, if you could provide the /proc/interrupts info along with /proc/cpuinfo
> and your stats that I asked about earlier, that would be a big help.
>
> Regards
> Neil

This is for a working setup.

-Kenny

kchang@...i:~$ uname -a
Linux fiji 2.6.24-19-generic #1 SMP Wed Aug 20 17:53:40 UTC 2008 x86_64
GNU/Linux
kchang@...i:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 11
cpu MHz         : 1600.000
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 4
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 4
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 10
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx
est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips    : 4791.31
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 1
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 15
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping    : 11
cpu MHz        : 1600.000
cache size    : 4096 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 4
core id        : 1
cpu cores    : 4
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 10
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx
est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips    : 4788.05
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 2
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 15
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping    : 11
cpu MHz        : 1600.000
cache size    : 4096 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 4
core id        : 2
cpu cores    : 4
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 10
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx
est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips    : 4788.08
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor    : 3
vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
cpu family    : 6
model        : 15
model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping    : 11
cpu MHz        : 1600.000
cache size    : 4096 KB
physical id    : 0
siblings    : 4
core id        : 3
cpu cores    : 4
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 10
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall
nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl vmx
est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips    : 4788.07
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment    : 64
address sizes    : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

kchang@...i:~$ cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1       CPU2       CPU3
  0:        165          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:          2          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  8:          1          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      rtc
  9:          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 12:          4          0          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
 16:   25614400          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi
uhci_hcd:usb3, HDA Intel, eth1, nvidia
 17:     571932          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi
uhci_hcd:usb4, uhci_hcd:usb6
 18:     102824          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi
uhci_hcd:usb7
 22:          0          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi
ehci_hcd:usb1
 23:    1636819          0          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi
ehci_hcd:usb2, uhci_hcd:usb5
507:   12542966          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      eth0
508:    1201118          0          0          0   PCI-MSI-edge      ahci
NMI:          0          0          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:   29214662   20141857   21777347   14279251   Local timer interrupts
RES:     205758     173268     238058     123958   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:       2623       3732       3814       2747   function call interrupts
TLB:      29961      56621      31440      55783   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0          0          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
THR:          0          0          0          0   Threshold APIC interrupts
SPU:          0          0          0          0   Spurious interrupts
ERR:          0