Date:	Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:15:41 -0500
From:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
To:	Kenny Chang <kchang@...enacr.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Multicast packet loss

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 10:20:13AM -0500, Kenny Chang wrote:
> Neil Horman wrote:

>>> This is for a working setup.
>>>

>> Are these quad core systems?  Or dual core w/ hyperthreading?  I ask because in
>> your working setup you have 1/2 the number of cpus' and was not sure if you
>> removed an entire package of if you just disabled hyperthreading.
>>

>> Neil
>>

> Yeah, these are quad core systems.  The 8 cpu system is a dual-processor
> quad-core.  The other is my desktop, single cpu quad core.

Ok, so their separate systms then.  Did you actually experience drops on the
8-core system since the last reboot?  I ask because even when its distributed
across all 8 cores, you only have about 500 total interrupts from the NIC, and
if you did get drops, something more than just affinity is wrong.

Regardless, spreading interrupts across cores is definately a problem.  As eric
says, quad core chips are actually 2x2 cores, so you'll want to either just run
irqbalance to assign an apropriate affinity to the NIC, or manually look at each
cores physical id and sibling id, to assign affininty to a core or cores that
share an L2 cache.  If you need to, as you've found, you may need to disable msi
interrupt mode on your bnx2 driver.  That kinda stinks, but bnx2 IIRC isn't
multiqueue, so its not like msi provides you any real performance gain.

Neil