Date:	Wed, 11 Feb 2009 22:01:50 +0100
From:	Pablo Neira Ayuso <pablo@...filter.org>
To:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
CC:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] netlink broadcast return value

I'm also trimming ;)

Patrick McHardy wrote:
> Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>> Can you think of one example where one ctnetlink listener may not find
>> useful reliable state-change reports? Still, this setting is optional
>> (it will be disabled by default) and, if turned on, you can disable it
>> for debugging purposes.
>
> As I already said, "conntrack -E" used for debugging. Nobody cares
> whether it misses a few events instead of causing dropped packets.
> Whether its on or not by default is secondary to being the right
> thing at all.

In particular, conntrack -E returns an error message when it hits
ENOBUFS, so it's a bad example. Indeed, I think that other programs in
userspace should do this if they don't know what to do with ENOBUFS,
otherwise increase the buffer up to a reasonable limit (set by the
user), and then report that this limit has been reached telling that
they have become unreliable (or depending on the sysctl value that I'm
proposing, tell that they may drop packets).

And I think that there are tons of interfaces that userspace programs
can abuse to do the wrong thing.

> No, its not the same. ctsync sets big receive buffers and requests
> "reliable" delivery, "conntrack -E" does nothing special and doesn't
> care whether messages are dropped because its receive queue is too
> small.

conntrack -E is a bad example but I get the point. This sysctl has to be
for all ctnetlink listeners.

>> I would have to tell sysadmins that conntrackd becomes unreliable under
>> heavy load in full near real-time mode, that would be horrible!.
>> Instead, with this option, I can tell them that, if they have selected
>> full near real-time event-driven synchronization, that reduces
>> performance.
>
> Again, I'm not arguing about the option but about making it a
> sysctl or something that affects all (ctnetlink) sockets whether
> they care or not. You could even make it a per-broadcast listener
> option, but the sysctl is effectively converting broadcast
> operation to reliable unicast semantics and that seems wrong.

And again, you point that this should be per-socket, but how can you
make this option per-socket? The only way that I see to make
state-change reporting reliable is to drop the packet to force the peer
to retransmit the packet and trigger the same state-change, and that
affect all ctnetlink listeners.

--
"Los honestos son inadaptados sociales" -- Les Luthiers