Date:	Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:15:37 -0500
From:	Kenny Chang <kchang@...enacr.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Multicast packet loss

Neil Horman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:34:54PM -0500, Kenny Chang wrote:
>> Eric Dumazet wrote:

>>> a quad core is really a 2 x 2 core
>>>
>>> L2 cache is splited on two blocks, one block used by CPU0/1, other by
>>> CPU2/3
>>>
>>> You are at the limit of the machine with such workload, so as soon as your
>>> CPUs have to transfert 64 bytes lines between those two L2 blocks, you loose.

>>> Check /proc/irq/{irqnumber}/smp_affinity
>>>
>>> If you want IRQ16 only served by CPU0 :
>>>
>>> echo 1 >/proc/irq/16/smp_affinity
>>>

>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> -snip-
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, from what we've seen, it looks like its
>> pointing to some inefficiency in the softirq handling.  The question is
>> whether it's something in the driver or the kernel.  If we can isolate
>> that, maybe we can take some action to have it fixed.
>>
> I don't think its sofirq ineffeciencies (oprofile would have shown that).  I
> know I keep harping on this, but I still think irq affininty is your problem.
> I'd be interested in knowning what your /proc/interrupts file looked like on
> each of the above kenrels.  Perhaps its not that the bnx2 card you have can't
> handle the setting of MSI interrupt affinities, but rather that something
> changeed to break irq affinity on this card.
>
> Neil

It's been a while since I updated this thread.  We've been running
through the different suggestions and tabulating their effects, as well
as trying out an Intel card.  The short story is that setting affinity
and MSI works to some extent, and the Intel card doesn't seem to change
things significantly.  The results don't seem consistent enough for us
to be able to point to a smoking gun.

It does look like the 2.6.29-rc4 kernel performs okay with the Intel
card, but this is not a real-time build and it's not likely to be in a
supported Ubuntu distribution real soon.  We've reached the point where
we'd like to look for an expert dedicated to work on this problem for a
period of time.  The final result being some sort of solution to produce
a realtime configuration with a reasonably "aged" kernel (.24~.28) that
has multicast performance greater than or equal to that of 2.6.15.

If anybody is interested in devoting some compensated time to this
issue, we're offering up a bounty:
http://www.athenacr.com/bounties/multicast-performance/

For completeness, here's the table of our experiment results:

====================== ================== ========= ==========
=============== ============== ============== =================
Kernel                 flavor             IRQ       affinity   *4x
mcasttest*  *5x mcasttest* *6x mcasttest*  *Mtools2* [4]_
====================== ================== ========= ==========
=============== ============== ============== =================
Intel
e1000e

-----------------------------------------+---------+----------+---------------+--------------+--------------+-----------------
2.6.24.19              rt                |          any       |
OK              Maybe          X
2.6.24.19              rt                |          CPU0      |
OK              OK             X
2.6.24.19              generic           |          any       |
2.6.24.19              generic           |          CPU0      |
OK
2.6.29-rc3             vanilla-server    |          any       |
2.6.29-rc3             vanilla-server    |          CPU0      |
OK
2.6.29-rc4             vanilla-generic   |          any       |
X                                             OK
2.6.29-rc4             vanilla-generic   |          CPU0      | OK
           OK             OK [5]_        OK
-----------------------------------------+---------+----------+---------------+--------------+--------------+-----------------
Broadcom
BNX2

-----------------------------------------+---------+----------+---------------+--------------+--------------+-----------------
2.6.24-19              rt                | MSI      any       |
OK              OK             X
2.6.24-19              rt                | MSI      CPU0      |
OK              Maybe          X
2.6.24-19              rt                | APIC     any       |
OK              OK             X
2.6.24-19              rt                | APIC     CPU0      |
OK              Maybe          X
2.6.24-19-bnx-latest   rt                | APIC     CPU0      |
OK              X
2.6.24-19              server            | MSI      any       |
2.6.24-19              server            | MSI      CPU0      |
OK
2.6.24-19              generic           | APIC     any       |
2.6.24-19              generic           | APIC     CPU0      |
OK
2.6.27-11              generic           | APIC     any       |
2.6.27-11              generic           | APIC     CPU0      |
OK              10% drop
2.6.28-8               generic           | APIC     any       |
OK              X
2.6.28-8               generic           | APIC     CPU0      |
OK              OK             0.5% drop
2.6.29-rc3             vanilla-server    | MSI      any       |
2.6.29-rc3             vanilla-server    | MSI      CPU0      |
2.6.29-rc3             vanilla-server    | APIC     any       |
OK              X
2.6.29-rc3             vanilla-server    | APIC     CPU0      |
OK              OK
2.6.29-rc4             vanilla-generic   | APIC     any       |
2.6.29-rc4             vanilla-generic   | APIC     CPU0      |
OK              3% drop        10% drop       X