Date:	Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:52:11 +0100
From:	Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@...tstofly.org>
To:	Gary Thomas <gary@...assoc.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Marvell 88E609x switch?

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:25:06AM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:

> >> Here's what I tried - (patch attached) - a trulyhorrible hack,
> >> but I've not figured out how to get the correct device pointers
> >> from the OF world yet.  The boot log shows that it's trying, but
> >> I don't see the DSA layer (M88E690x driver) doing the MII indirection
> >> that's needed for this device.
> >>
> >> I'm probably not starting it up correctly, but I think I followed
> >> the examples you cited.  Any ideas?
> >
> > "indirection needed for this device" -- does that mean that your
> > switch chip is configured to use the multi-chip addressing mode?
> > (It looks like it, as most of the MII addresses return ffff in
> > their ID registers.)  If yes, you should set ->sw_addr to whatever
> > MII address the chip has been assigned.
>
> Much better, my switch seems to be found now.
>
>   Distributed Switch Architecture driver version 0.1
>   gfar_mdio_read(cf9db400, 1, 0) = 1811
>   gfar_mdio_write(cf9db400, 1, 0, 9a03) = 0
>   gfar_mdio_read(cf9db400, 1, 0) = 1a03
>   gfar_mdio_read(cf9db400, 1, 1) = 953
>   mv88e6131_probe(cf9db400, 1) = 2387

That looks like the proper indirect access sequence.

>   eth0: detected a Marvell 88E6095/88E6095F switch

Yay.

>   root@..._target:~ ls /sys/bus/mdio_bus/devices/
>   24520:01:00  24520:01:02  24520:01:04  24520:01:06
>   24520:01:01  24520:01:03  24520:01:05  24520:01:07

That looks good too.

> However, the network subsystem still can't locate it.  It may be
> a complication of the OF stuff and how the [gianfar] network
> device knows what PHY to look at.
>
>   starting network interfaces...
>   24520:01 not found
>   eth0: Could not attach to PHY

It's correct that eth0 should not associate with a PHY -- since the
MAC connects to the switch chip over GMII/RGMII/SGMII, there is no
PHY involved.

Is the gianfar driver refusing to up the interface without a PHY?
It shouldn't do that -- IMHO it's perfectly fine to not have a PHY
on your ethernet MAC.

> Also, how do I specify the [implicit] route within the switch
> that connects '24520:01:00' to the CPU port '24520:01:0A' (if
> there was such a thing)?  My boot loader has configured the
> switch for this path - I've not looked through the log to see
> what the DSA layer did.

Just specify "cpu" as the port name of port 10 in your dsa platform
data (assuming that there's where your CPU is), that'll take care of
it.

Does it give you Linux network interfaces for the other switch chip
ports (1-8)?

thanks,
Lennert