Date:	Wed, 25 Mar 2009 01:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	ram.vepa@...erion.com
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [net-2.6 PATCH 5/10] Neterion: New driver: Hardware init &
 configuration

From: Ramkrishna Vepa <ram.vepa@...erion.com>
Date: 25 Mar 2009 00:13:12 -0800

> This patch takes care of Initialization and configuration steps of
> Neterion Inc's X3100 Series 10GbE PCIe I/O Virtualized Server Adapter.

This driver won't build on 32-bit platforms, not even x86.

You didn't build test on i386?

You have to provide a readq/writeq implementation on 32-bit
machines so that you can choose in what order it is safe
to read/write the upper and lower 32-bit halfs of a 64-bit
register.

See the following from drivers/net/niu.c:

#ifndef readq
static u64 readq(void __iomem *reg)
{
	return ((u64) readl(reg)) | (((u64) readl(reg + 4UL)) << 32);
}

static void writeq(u64 val, void __iomem *reg)
{
	writel(val & 0xffffffff, reg);
	writel(val >> 32, reg + 0x4UL);
}
#endif

And DO NOT JUST COPY THIS!  Think about how your hardware behaves
if the 64-bit registers are accessed 32-bits at a time, especially
wrt. state clearing when reading interrupt status registers.