Date:	Thu, 16 Apr 2009 17:11:32 +0300
From:	Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz@...taire.com>
To:	Jay Vosburgh <fubar@...ibm.com>, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: zero features for a vlan over bond / vlan features

Jay Vosburgh wrote:
> The features system now has a dev->vlan_features that lists the
> features that will work through a vlan; bond_compute_features isn't
> using netdev_increment/fix_features to additionally compute the vlan_features,
> so that's ending up always empty even if the underlying device supports vlan passthrough.
> I'm working on a patch; I'll see what I can come up with.

Great, I will be happy to test the patch once you have it...

> Note, however, that at this writing, the set of drivers that explicitly
> supports VLAN passthrough (a non-zero vlan_features) is rather limited.

Please correct me if I'm wrong - would be it correct to say that there's a concept
of "VLAN acceleration" which comes into play when the NIC device advertises
NETIF_F_HW_VLAN_xxx features and a concept of "VLAN passthrough" which means the
NIC device have a non empty vlan_features bit mask?

Looking on Linus tree I noted that indeed only few drivers have non-empty vlan_features
and I wonder if the reason for that is indeed lack of HW support or just the driver
maintainers being somehow slow to catch up with the vlan_features concept, Dave -
any insight here?

Or.