Date:	Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:30:06 -0400
From:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
To:	Oliver Hartkopp <oliver@...tkopp.net>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: dropwatch for network drop monitor

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 04:16:10PM +0200, Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
> Hi Neil,
>
> >> Initalizing kallsyms db
> >> dropwatch> start
> >> Enabling monitoring...
> >> Waiting for activation ack....
> >> Waiting for activation ack....
> >> Waiting for activation ack....
> >> Waiting for activation ack....
> >> Waiting for activation ack....
> >> Waiting for activation ack....
> >> Failed activation request, error: Operation now in progress
> >> Shutting down ...
> >> vwagwolkf320:/home/hartko/dropwatch/src#
>
> Indeed i only get this the second time.
>
> The first time i get
>
> hartko@...gwolkf320:~/dropwatch/src$ ./dropwatch
> Initalizing kallsyms db
> dropwatch> start
> Enabling monitoring...
> Kernel monitoring activated.
> Issue Ctrl-C to stop monitoring
>
> But Ctrl-C does not work. I only get 100% CPU load on the CPU executing dropwatch.
>
> After killing the process, i get the above originally described behaviour.

Thats interesting, can't say I've ever seen that behavior before.  I'm building
the latest net-next kernel on my s32 bit system right now, I'll let you know
what I come up with.

> >> And in my kernel log i get at the same time:
> >> [ 7070.568482] netlink: 60 bytes leftover after parsing attributes.
>
> And this comes every time, i invoke dropwatch.

I'll watch for this.

> I'm running a debian system here on a Dell 830 Laptop with Core2Duo and the
> latest linux-2.6 git

Thank you

> Regards,
> Oliver
>
> ps. Do i need to be root to run dropwatch?

IIRC, at the moment you do yes, since NETLINK_GENERIC family lookups are
restricted to root access only.  I hope to change that one day

Neil