Date:	Fri, 08 May 2009 12:40:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	radek@...gorny.cz
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: via velocity trivial patch

From: Radek Podgorny <radek@...gorny.cz>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 13:32:30 +0200

> The "some garbage" are just my words for what Jeff Garzik called "also
> bail if 0xffffffff (hardware fault / hardware unplugged)" in
> http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0406.0/0500.html in 2004.
> Should I change that?
>
> Anyway, I've verified this is really happening on my hardware when
> multiple via velocity devices share the same interrupt. The one the
> interrupt is for reads the correct ISR value, the others sometimes read
> 0 and sometimes 0xffffffff. I'm not educated enough to tell why.
>
> Reasons to include the fix:
> 1) Someone smarter than me suggested it (Jeff Garzik).
> 2) Fixed my problem.
> 3) Does not introduce a new problem.
>
> So I'm attaching the patch again. Now with the proper sign-off.

I don't think we should include this until we know why your
card is showing this value in the status register.

Since I assume you aren't unplugging the device showing this
behavior, the only possible remaining reason is "hardware fault"
and we need to understand that better before we start working
around it.

I consider it a good bet that Jeff has no idea why the chip is
doing this either. :-)