Date:	Tue, 12 May 2009 01:02:01 -0600
From:	Daniel Robbins <drobbins@...too.org>
To:	Cyrill Gorcunov <gorcunov@...nvz.org>
Cc:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, bridge@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	davem@...emloft.net, xemul@...nvz.org
Subject: Re: [Bridge] [RFC 0/5] bridge - introduce via_phys_dev feature

Is this functionality useful for OpenVZ? Do people need the ability to
do this? Why/when is it necessary for me to be able to add eth0 to a
bridge remotely?

I don't quite (yet) understand the usefulness of this feature. You
would still be very limited in what you can change with the network if
you are remote, right? That's why I don't quite understand the benefit
of this feature. How are you planning to use it? When I set up my
OpenVZ systems, I like to get the overall network/bridge configuration
perfect so that I don't need to make major changes when I am remote.

Again, I am not an expert so I am asking purely for my own curiosity.
I support the idea of making networking more flexible, but I do not
see this particular step addressed by the patch as a common need. That
may be due to my own lack of understanding.

I am a big fan of OpenVZ though, so if it helps OpenVZ in some way,
I'd like to know about it :)

-Daniel