Date:	Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:32:46 +0200
From:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
To:	Gil Beniamini <gil.beniamini@...il.com>
CC:	Brent Cook <bcook@...intsys.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SOCK_RAW does not receive broadcast (with VLAN unless PROMISC)

Again, please don't top post.

Gil Beniamini wrote:
> My application is a "proxy" and need to support few VLANs (for example vlan 24).
> I define all vlans on interface 'eth0' which is my "out i/f", while
> the other interface 'eth1' (used as "in i/f") I use with PF_PACKET /
> SOCK_RAW in order to handle VLANs by my application (starting with
> "arp broadcast").
> When I try to define the same (relevant VLAN) on eth1 (inorder to
> check your suggestion), I get "Error: trying to add VLAN #24 to IF
> -:eth1:- error: file exist".
> It seems that linux does not allow to define the same VLAN # on more
> than a single i/f?!

No, that has got to be a mistake. You can use the same ID once
per underlying device:

# ip -d link list

4: vlan0@...my0: <BROADCAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN
     link/ether d6:1f:c0:bd:b2:ec brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
     vlan id 1000 <REORDER_HDR>
6: vlan1@...my1: <BROADCAST,NOARP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN
     link/ether 8a:17:13:5d:87:1a brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
     vlan id 1000 <REORDER_HDR>

If it doesn't work for you, please post the full commands
and ip -d link list output you used.