Date:	Sun, 21 Jun 2009 14:46:13 +0300
From:	Al Boldi <a1426z@...ab.com>
To:	Peter Chacko <peterchacko35@...il.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	rick.jones2@...com, radhamohan_ch@...oo.com,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [RFD] Pluggable code design (was: can we reuse an skb)

Peter Chacko wrote:
> What i am considering here is the super optimization of memory buffers
> for a multi-layer packet processor, without needing to move packets
> into user space. In that case, i am optimizing my custom network stack
> with a pre-allocated MTU sized and a few  jumbo-sized buffers. And no
> interrupts as i do NAPI at all times, as this is a dedicated
> appliance. I keep all these buffers in the L1 cache and hence i have
> different sets of pools for different cores. I  am currently guiding
> my engineers to implement the code changes now..

Yes, having a customizable/pluggable network stack sounds very useful.

In general, OpenSource projects like Linux don't give much incentive to
pluggable designs, because the source, being open, represents a weired form
of pluggability.  Unfortunately, this "hack it up / code it hard" design
style usually inhibits healthy development.

A rethink is probably in place...

Thanks!

--
Al