Date:	Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:11:16 +0530
From:	Peter Chacko <peterchacko35@...il.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	rick.jones2@...com, radhamohan_ch@...oo.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: can we reuse an skb

Hi Dave,

Here i am considering a special case where Linux stack is not used in
a host environment. Its dedicated packet processor. Application data
is not expected. (discarded if thats the case).

In the case of a host, yes we cannot pre-allocate buffers as it would
requires us to create another copy at the L4  junction. Current memory
allocation for packet buffers are only meant for this case. Not meant
for a special case when the Linux box is a 100% packet processor.I
wish to argue that in this special case, we don't need an skb_alloc()
or skb_free() sorts of interface.

What i am considering here is the super optimization of memory buffers
for a multi-layer packet processor, without needing to move packets
into user space. In that case, i am optimizing my custom network stack
with a pre-allocated MTU sized and a few  jumbo-sized buffers. And no
interrupts as i do NAPI at all times, as this is a dedicated
appliance. I keep all these buffers in the L1 cache and hence i have
different sets of pools for different cores. I  am currently guiding
my engineers to implement the code changes now..

Seeking your advice if any body has done this already or a patch is
available or any advice against this ...

I would greatly appreciate if any one of you could share me your
experience in related work.

Best regards,
Peter chacko.