Date:	Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:13:59 +0300
From:	Pablo Bitton <pablo.bitton@...il.com>
To:	"Nori, Sekhar" <nsekhar@...com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	"Rajashekhara, Sudhakar" <sudhakar.raj@...com>,
	"Subrahmanya, Chaithrika" <chaithrika@...com>,
	davinci-linux-open-source@...ux.davincidsp.com
Subject: Re: A small fix to davinci_emac driver

Hello all,

I have attached a small fix for the following problem:
When davinci_emac interface is down, changing MAC address results in
kernel oops, due to NULL pointer dereference.

I apologize for not inlining the patch into the message (since GMail
is the only web client I can use, and it does not allow me to inline
it correctly).
Remarks are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Nori, Sekhar<nsekhar@...com> wrote:

> Pablo,
>
> Chaithrika's mails to gmail.com are bouncing, so I am replying
> on her behalf.
>
> "
> You are right there is indeed an issue. We looked at other
> drivers and found that this is solved by checking for netif_running
> to be true before going ahead and setting the mac address. Have a
> look at how this is done in tg3.c driver
>
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/khilman/linux-davinci.git;a=blob;f=drivers/net/tg3.c;h=201be425643a6fb7acb8801bbbb718897c9a6431;hb=35265abf67337f57a023ffeae5f4c492e7f8ea24#l6589
> "
>
> Can you please go ahead and submit a fix for this to netdev
> mailing list and CC linux-davinci ML?
>
> Thanks,
> Sekhar

View attachment "0002-davinci_emac-fix-kernel-oops-when-changing-mac-addr.patch.txt" of type "text/plain" (1571 bytes)