Date:	Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:19:27 +0200
From:	Raúl Hernández <rauhersu@...il.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: QoS hot changes changes (tc)

Hi there,

I am trying to characterize the situation in which we perform a change
in the shaping done by the Linux kernel (tc+qdisc), specifically when
modifying the bandwidth as a hot change while shaping with a previous
bw value. The system I am describing performs shaping per stream
(uplink and/or dowinlink or total), just marking the TOS of the ip
packet and provisioning the kernel via 'tc' to shape the packets.

My question is whether someone has tried to modify bw parameters, ie:
move from 90 to 45 kb/s while the queues are already being populated
with trafffic .Do not know if the shaper algorithm is able to adjust
the bw without service disruption/experiment transitory behavior as I
guess the algorithm must have some kind of feedback which depends of
the bytes already shaped and the value of the bw itself (ie: leaky
bucket).

Any experience with this kind of changes :-) ? Thx !

Raul

--
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand".