Date:	Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:29:03 +0200
From:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>
To:	David Shwatrz <dshwatrz@...il.com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Inconsistency in number of Unix sockets

David Shwatrz a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> On kernel 2.6.29.4-167: (Fedora 11):
>
> Why is this inconsistency in number of Unix sockets, when running the following:
>
>  cat /proc/net/protocols | grep UNIX
> UNIX       432    986      -1   ....
>
> lsof -U | wc -l
> 989
>
> netstat --unix | wc -l
> 906
>
> cat /proc/net/unix | wc -l
> 986
>
> On which of this statistics should we rely when we want to know how
> many Unix Domain sockets do we have ? There is a variable named unix_nr_socks,
> but AFAIK, the patch which used it (for /proc/net/protocols ) was
> reverted lately.

Pick your own definition of what is "the number of unix sockets".

"lsof -U | wc -l " cannot be right because of shared file descriptors
(one socket shared by several processes)

"netstat --unix" seems to not display some sockets (which names dont
start by / or @ , like in "private/smtp")

If you use "netstat --unix --all", then all sockets are displayed.

> commit 1748376b6626acf59c24e9592ac67b3fe2a0e026
> by Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>

You didnt understand this patch.

Information is still available in /proc/net/protocols

$ grep UNIX /proc/net/protocols
UNIX       432     98      -1   NI       0   yes  kernel      n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n  n
$ wc -l /proc/net/unix
99 /proc/net/unix