Date:	Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:21:27 +0200
From:	Rene Mayrhofer <rene.mayrhofer@...raltar.at>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, Richard Leitner <leitner@...s.at>
Subject: Re: Kernel oops on setting sky2 interfaces down

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:03:17 +0200
> Rene Mayrhofer <rene.mayrhofer@...raltar.at> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Hemminger schrieb:
>>> You could try commenting out sky2_shutdown which does the Wol
>>> power down stuff. Maybe changing setting of Wake On Lan would
>>> help as well.
>>>
>>> What happens if you take interface down 'ip link set eth0 down' (or ifconfig)?
>>>
>>> There are several different register writes in the shutdown path.
>>> You could add code to check if a particular access is disabling
>>> the PCI buss with:
>>>
>>>     sky2_write(... som register...)
>>>     BUG_ON(sky2_read16(sky2->hw, B0_CTST) == 0xffff);
>> I tried adding that wherever it seemed to make sense, resulting in
>
> Does the platform use MSI? Perhaps it generates a bogus interrupt when
> powered off.

Potentially:

[root@...raltar3-esys-master ~]# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:        311   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:          2   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  2:          0    XT-PIC-XT        cascade
  4:        440   IO-APIC-edge      serial
  7:          0   IO-APIC-edge      parport0
  8:         87   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0
 14:     124214   IO-APIC-edge      ide0
 15:          0   IO-APIC-edge      ide1
 19:         95   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ata_piix
 20:        962   IO-APIC-fasteoi   asak
 21:       3644   IO-APIC-fasteoi   testnet
 22:     108021   IO-APIC-fasteoi   hb
 23:          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, voip
504:     188598   PCI-MSI-edge      lan
505:       7989   PCI-MSI-edge      dmz
506:     317686   PCI-MSI-edge      gibsrv
507:      84129   PCI-MSI-edge      wan
NMI:          0   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:   11928173   Local timer interrupts
RES:          0   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:          0   Function call interrupts
TLB:          0   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0   Thermal event interrupts
SPU:          0   Spurious interrupts
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Do I interpret this correctly that MSI is used by sky2 (those above are
the network interface names)? Sorry for my ignorance in this regard, but
I haven't consciously used or debugged MSI so far.

best regards,
Rene