Date:	Tue, 18 Aug 2009 06:56:03 +0200
From:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
To:	david@...g.hm
Cc:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, tim.bird@...sony.com,
	r.schwebel@...gutronix.de, vda.linux@...glemail.com,
	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-embedded@...r.kernel.org,
	arjan@...ux.intel.com, kernel@...gutronix.de,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: new ipdelay= option for faster netboot

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 07:45:33PM -0700, david@...g.hm wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Rick Jones wrote:
>
> >David Miller wrote:
> >>I have card/switch combinations that take up to 10 seconds to
> >>negotiate a proper link.
> >
> >Gotta love it when things adhere to specs...
>
> the default on Cisco switches is to wait 30 seconds before fully enabling
> the port so that it can listen for spanning tree broadcasts.

And this causes a lot of trouble in high availability environments,
because the link is up but unusable. So if you're using it as a primary
bond link you can lose connectivity for that time. Fortunately, you can
configure the port in "switchport mode access", "portfast" mode to avoid
this annoying delay.

Willy