Date:	Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:15:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:	Mikulas Patocka <mikulas@...ax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
To:	netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org
cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: [ANNOUNCE] new iptables module match large amount of ip addresses

Hi

Here I submit an iptables module that can match large amounts (millions)
of ip addresses efficiently using binary search. I needed it to protect my
home network from spam. It may be useful for other people too, so if you
want it, you can take it and add it to the kernel.

Get the patches for netfilter and kernel at:
http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mikulas/xt_ipfile/
(you need to copy the file include/linux/netfilter/xt_ipfile.h from kernel
sources to /usr/include/linux/netfilter/ to compile the userspace)

The main features:
- fast matching of large amount of ip addresses using binary search.
- an ability to match ranges of addresses or address/mask subnets.
- fast loading of the addresses (on Pentium 3 850, 2 million addresses
load in 5.5s, if they are already sorted in the file, the load time is
just 1.5s).
- memory efficient --- consumes only 8 bytes per address.

USAGE:

prepare a file with addreses, in this example /root/firewall/bad-ips. One
entry per line, the allowed formats are:
1.2.3.4
1.2.3.0/24
1.2.3.4-1.2.3.8

insert it into iptables with:
iptables -A SPAM -m ipfile --src-file /root/firewall/bad-ips -j DROP

The module doesn't support ipv6 because I don't use it, but it's generic
enough that it could be extended for it. It could be also extended to
match ethernet MAC addresses.

Mikulas