Date:	Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:39:24 +0200
From:	Rainer Koenig <Rainer.Koenig@...fujitsu.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: r8169c: Support for Realtek 8168DP chip?

Hi there,

I got several new workstation models  that come with the Realtek 8168DP
chip (8168 with DASH capabilites).
When trying to use this chip with the r8169 driver module I get the
following errors:

localhost kernel: r8169 0000:05:00.0: unknown MAC (2b800600)
localhost kernel: eth0: RTL8169 at 0xffffc2000004c000, 9:65:d3:9f, XID
28800000 IRQ 138
localhost kernel: eth0: PHY reset failed.
localhost kernel: r8169: eth0: TBI auto-negotiating
localhost kernel: r8169: eth0: unknown chipset (mac_version = 1).
localhost kernel: r8169: eth0: link down
localhost kernel: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

The distribution running is RHEL 5.4, but actually that doesn't matter
since I didn't see the necessary code lines even in the latest blob from
git.kernel.org.

The reason why is easy to decode when looking at the source: The
TxConfig register returns 2b800000 and there is no MAC_VERSION in the
list of valid versions. That means not PHY initialization code is
executed and stop, no working device. :-(

The latest OEM download from Realtek
http://218.210.127.131/downloads/RedirectFTPSite.aspx?SiteID=1&DownTypeID=3&DownID=332&PFid=5&Conn=4
compiles and works. Looking at the source of this driver it shows code
for this TxConfig value and it has a special part for the PHY
initialization.

So the questions are:
- Will there be a patch for the 8168DP chip in the r8169 driver soon?
- What is necessary to get a patch?
- Are the maintainers of r8169 talking to the people that do the OEM
  driver or is r8169 just a reverse engineered driver?

Best regards
Rainer
--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rainer Koenig
Project Manager Linux Business Clients

Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Bürgermeister-Ullrich-Str. 100
86199 Augsburg
Germany

Telephone: +49-821-804-3321
Telefax:   +49-821-804-2131
Mail:      mailto:Rainer.Koenig@...fujitsu.com

Internet         ts.fujtsu.com
Company Details  ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html