Date:	Wed, 14 Oct 2009 22:17:30 +0200
From:	Luca Deri <deri@...p.org>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
Cc:	Brad Doctor <brad.doctor@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: PF_RING: Include in main line kernel?

Stephen
many thanks for your feedback I appreciated it.

The reason why I decided to patch dev.c is because I wanted PF_RING to
decide whether the packet journey shall continue or not. In other
words with my solution PF_RING applications can decide whether the
received packets will also be delivered to upper layers (and to other
kernel network components). This configurable 'early packet drop'
allows the overall performance to be significantly increased as
received packets are not supposed to be delivered to upper layers;
this is a typical situations for many monitoring devices.

Another reason, is that having a hook in dev.c, device drivers can
pass PF_RING packets directly without going through the standard
kernel mechanisms. For instance I have developed some drivers that if
they detect the presence of PF_RING, pass received packets directly to
PF_RING instead of going with NAPI.

These are reasons behind my design choices. However if you believe
that my arguments are not enough, and it's better to use a different
approach, I'm prepared to change the implementation. Please let me
know what you want me to change in order to include PF_RING into the
kernel source tree.

If you want to test it, for your convenience I have created a patch
for kernel 2.6.31.3:
https://svn.ntop.org/svn/ntop/trunk/PF_RING/patches/linux-2.6.31.3-1-686-smp-PF_RING.patch.gz

Regards Luca