Date:	Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:24:58 +0200
From:	Denys Fedoryschenko <denys@...p.net.lb>
To:	Octavian Purdila <opurdila@...acom.com>
Cc:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	Benjamin LaHaise <bcrl@...et.ca>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>,
	Cosmin Ratiu <cratiu@...acom.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] make per interface sysctl entries configurable

I test it on pppoe with 1k customers. It works flawlessly.

When there is problem on network and i have massive users disconnect and then
login, the bottleneck is in lock somewhere in creation of sysctl(according
perf). PPPoE after 200-300 interfaces will start dying, and connection rate
will drop to 20-50 customers per minute, load average will jump to 70-100 (i
guess pppd processes waiting their turn). With this patch i am able to
sustain 200-300 customers / minute login rate and perftop is "clear" now.

Definitely this option is optional, and doesn't cut any functionality by
default, just giving more choice. And for PPP (pppoe/pptp) NAS it is very
useful.