Date:	Sun, 22 Nov 2009 01:21:17 +0100
From:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	ben@...footnetworks.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Bridge + Conntrack + SKB Recycle: Fragment Reassembly Errors

David Miller wrote:
> From: Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
> Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:50:38 +0100
>
>> This code in ip_fragment() looks suspicious:
>>
>> 	if (skb_has_frags(skb)) {
>> 		skb_walk_frags(skb, frag) {
>> 			if (skb->sk) {
>> 				frag->sk = skb->sk;
>> 				frag->destructor = sock_wfree;
>> 				truesizes += frag->truesize;
>> 			}
>>
>> truesizes is later used to adjust truesize of the head skb.
>> For some reason this is only done when it originated from a
>> local socket.
>
> Well, it shouldn't look _that_ suspicious.
>
> What this code is doing is making sure that after we make all of these
> changes, the truesize of the SKBs referrng to the socket do not
> change.
>
> It's simply making sure that the math works out when all the
> sock_wfree() calls occur later.
>
> If we don't have a socket involved, there is no reason to make
> these adjustments.

That seems to be the assumption. But ip_defrag() uses skb->truesize
as well to make sure the defragmentation memory limits are not exceeded.
In this case what seems to be happening is:

- gianfar with skb recycling enabled receives a number of fragments
  on a bridge (~64000b total)

- conntrack defragments the packet using ip_defrag(), which causes
  skb->truesize of the head fragment to account for all the fragments

- the packet is refragmented in the bridging code using ip_fragment().
  This doesn't re-adjust skb->truesize of the head fragment when the
  packet is not associated with a socket

- the head is recycled in gianfar

- another fragment is received and reuses the recycled skb with a
  huge truesize

- the defragmentation limits are exceeded due to the huge truesize

So it seems we need to adjust skb->truesize in ip_fragment() since
skb_recycle_check() assumes the skb is linear (and therefore
skb->truesize reflects the linear size). Ben's suggestions of adding
an upper limit based on the requested size to skb_recycle_check()
makes sense to me as well to avoid this problem when recycling large
linear skbs.