Date:	Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:40:08 -0500
From:	William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson@...il.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, joe@...ches.com
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 PATCH v7 3/7 RFC] TCPCT part 1c: sysctl_tcp_cookie_size,
 socket option TCP_COOKIE_TRANSACTIONS

David Miller wrote:
> From: William Allen Simpson <william.allen.simpson@...il.com>
> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:51:13 -0500
>
>> This code was based on net/ipv4/tcp_minisocks.c for syncookies.
>> Apparently, default for syncookies has been controversial.
>
> I'll have to change that, it doesn't make any sense.  Thanks
> for pointing it out.

Once again, for the umpteenth time, I learn that existing code
proves to be a bad example to follow....

>> Would you accept always default to TCP_COOKIE_MAX?
>
> Sure, let's see what breaks.

Unlikely to break anything, according to studies of the subject:

         Medina, A., Allman, M., and Floyd, S., "Measuring Interactions
         Between Transport Protocols and Middleboxes", Proceedings 4th
         ACM SIGCOMM/USENIX Conference on Internet Measurement, October
         2004.  http://www.icsi.berkeley.edu/pubs/networking/tbit-
         Aug2004.pdf

TCPCT part 2 is much more likely to break things....