Date:	Tue, 08 Dec 2009 15:42:26 -0600
From:	Jon Loeliger <jdl@...footnetworks.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Using netlink for intra-kernel requests?

Guys,

I am looking for some documentation or an example that explains
how to use the Netlink interface to generate a message, send it,
and receive and process a reply all within the kernel.  I can
find lots of examples how to do this from user space, and even
the RFC shirks off talking about intra-kernel netlink messages.

Specifically, I would like to generate a RTM_GETQDISC message,
send it to the RTNL socket, and set up a listner to receive a reply.

I think I can create the netlink message in an skb.  And I think
I should call rtnl_notify() to deliver it (on the init_net namespace
with pid == 0, right?).  But where or how do I establish a means to
get the response?

I tried to read through some of the similar routing bits, but
even they confess that they "should use netlink", but then doesn't.

I feel like I am missing or don't know where to find the
documentation for the intra-kernel netlink messaging.

Thanks,
jdl