Date:	Mon, 11 Jan 2010 08:18:13 +0100
From:	christian pellegrin <chripell@...il.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: problem with kernel ipconfig over usb ethernet on v.2.6.33-rc3

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 10:38 PM, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net> wrote:

> How long does it actually take for the USB ethernet device
> to become visible at this point?
>
> Is 2 seconds enough?  For example.

no, it's around 8-9 seconds

> It's rediculious to require that users learn about obscure
> kernel command line options in order for basic functionality
> to work properly.

I agree with you, unfortunately rootdelay is there and it's rather
difficult to boot from USB mass storage or even SCSI arrays without
it. If you think it's worth the hassle (maybe this is not a common
user case: I have to develop on embedded systems where the hardware
designers try to save every possible euro by not including proper
ethernet MACs; on desktop systems having initrd/initramfs setting up
the device and waiting for them via udevd solved the problem (but they
don't use kernel ipconfig either in this case)) I can try more
elaborate schemes like: if the ethX specified by ip= is not present at
the first try just wait 10 seconds and try again (perhaps repeat this
two time just to be sure).

--
Christian Pellegrin, see http://www.evolware.org/chri/
"Real Programmers don't play tennis, or any other sport which requires