Date:	Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:02:40 -0700
From:	"Berck E. Nash" <flyboy@...il.com>
To:	Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@...il.com>
CC:	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Bug #14925] sky2 panic under load

Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 08:32:24PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

>>> BTW, I don't know why Berck didn't experience such a panic before
>>> 2.6.32, but seems not a regression to me. There might be new/more sky2
>>> TX timeouts which trigger this panic and would make a real regression.
>> Even if the code has always been broken, but it's only become visible after
>> 2.6.32, that still counts as a regression IMO, because now the users are
>> affected who weren't before.
>
> Right, but:
> 1) someone with a similar but older problem might be mislead a fix is
>    not for them;
> 2) someone with exactly this one problem (i.e. Berck ;-) might be
>    mislead "no oops" is enough, while their linux might be still worse
>    than before. (So I intended Berck to re-consider or even re-check
>    this problem wrt. 2.6.31, and maybe even reporting another
>    regression.)

Well, the problem with this bug is how hard it is for me to reproduce.
I'm willing to admit that just because I never got it before 2.6.32
isn't proof that it wasn't there in 2.6.31.  But it's a regression
somewhere along the line, since I've been using this hardware for over 3
years now.  There were lots of bugs in the sky2 driver years ago, but
for the last 2+ years or so, I haven't had any trouble at all until now.

The bug only shows up for me with bittorrent traffic.  I also use the
same adapter to transfer backups over the network from several
computers, and that doesn't trigger it...

I used 2.6.31 for however long it was the current stable, and I never
got a crash with it.  After I got several crashes in 2.6.32, I reverted
to 2.6.31 until Jarek sent this patch that seems to have fixed it.  I've
never gotten it to crash in 2.6.31, so I'm pretty sure it's a 2.6.32
regression, but I can't prove it.

I would love to do more testing, but since I can't reproduce the bug at
will, I'm not really sure what to offer?