Date:	Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:39:33 +0100
From:	Rainer Koenig <Rainer.Koenig@...fujitsu.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: e1000e and  Intel 82578DM, 10 Mbit/s only

Hi,

I'm currently facing a problem on Intel Ibexpeak mainboards that have
the Intel 82578DM chip for LAN. Device ID is 8086:10ef.

When using the e1000e driver that comes with distributions like
- Fedora 12
- RHEL 5.4
- openSUSE 11.2

then I only get the link up with 10 Mbit/s instead of 1000 Mbit/s.

Driver version is 1.0.2-k2 (according to modinfo)

If I use the e1000e from Sourceforge (Version 1.0.15 or 1.1.2) then
the machine gets the correct Gigabit link.

So some questions on the e1000e kernel driver:

- will the necessary patches be merged from the sourceforge driver to
  the vanilla driver?

- why is the modinfo version so "static" on this driver? I've seen lots
  of patches on the list archives and in git, but modversion seems to be
  an universal constant at "1.0.2-k2"?

The bad impact of this problem is that with this bug of the kernel
driver systems affected by this will not pass trough a Red Hat hardware
certification network test. So guess what my current problem is: yeah,
right I should do hardware certification with this LAN.

Thanks for your attention & regards
Rainer
--
Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Rainer Koenig
Project Manager Linux Business Clients

Fujitsu Technology Solutions
Bürgermeister-Ullrich-Str. 100
86199 Augsburg
Germany

Telephone: +49-821-804-3321
Telefax:   +49-821-804-2131
Mail:      mailto:Rainer.Koenig@...fujitsu.com

Internet         ts.fujtsu.com
Company Details  ts.fujitsu.com/imprint.html