Date:	Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:30:16 -1000
From:	Mitch Bradley <wmb@...mworks.com>
To:	Grant Likely <grant.likely@...retlab.ca>
CC:	John Linn <John.Linn@...inx.com>,
	Scott Wood <scottwood@...escale.com>,
	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	devicetree-discuss <devicetree-discuss@...ts.ozlabs.org>,
	Andy Fleming <afleming@...escale.com>
Subject: Re: phy address in the device tree, vs auto probing

This case is somewhat similar to "wildcard nodes" on unprobed SCSI
buses, going all the way back to pre-1275 Open Boot.  Since full probing
of a SCSI bus could take a really long time (spin-up delays etc), Open
Boot would usually create a bus node for the host controller and
populate it with a disk node and a tape node, neither of which had a reg
property.  That meant that there was a good chance that you might find
such devices on that bus, but their specific SCSI bus addresses had not
yet been determined.  In addition to those wildcard nodes, similar nodes
with extant reg properties could also appear, asserting the presence of
a known device at the given address.  The node matching algorithm first
looks for an exact match with a reg property, and failing that, looks
for a wildcard match.