Date:	Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:32:07 -0800
From:	ebiederm@...ssion.com (Eric W. Biederman)
To:	Matt Helsley <matthltc@...ibm.com>
Cc:	hadi@...erus.ca, Linux Netdev List <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	containers@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
	Netfilter Development Mailinglist
	<netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>,
	Daniel Lezcano <dlezcano@...ibm.com>
Subject: Re: RFC: netfilter: nf_conntrack: add support for "conntrack zones"

Matt Helsley <matthltc@...ibm.com> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:00:55PM -0800, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> jamal <hadi@...erus.ca> writes:
>>
>> > Added Daniel to the discussion..

>> > I like it if it makes it as easy as it sounds;-> With lxc,
>> > i essentially have to create a proxy process inside the
>> > namespace that i use unix domain to open fds inside the ns.
>> > Do i still need that?
>>
>> That point of the mount to hold a persistent reference to the
>> namespace without using a process.
>
> I think technicaly it's still held using processes, only now it's
> much more indirect:
>
> netns <- mount <- mount namespace(s) <- process(es)

True. The practical difference is that it doesn't require a dedicated
process which is a big improvement operationally.

> Using a mount requires keeping names for the namespaces themselves
> in the kernel which is a problem we've largely avoided so far.
> The nscgroup is an example of the messes that creates, I think. And it
> further complicates c/r -- we'd need to checkpoint and recreate the
> names of the namespaces too. So we'll need a namespace for the names of
> the namespaces to make restart reliable won't we? Makes my head spin...

This is strictly different.  It may require a bit of extra support from
checkpoint/restart because it introduces some more user visible objects
but the names themselves are nothing special.  The name that userspace
sees and deals with is the name of the mount point.  No new namespaces
are required.

Eric