Date:	Thu, 01 Apr 2010 07:29:45 -0400
From:	jamal <hadi@...erus.ca>
To:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
Cc:	Timo Teräs <timo.teras@....fi>,
	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] SPD basic actions per netdev

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 14:39 +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 09:32:06AM +0300, Timo Teräs wrote:
> >
> > On inbound it's always loopback interface. Does the same hold
> > true on forward? I was under the impression that it would
> > reflect the actual destination interface.
>
> That's a good point.  I suppose there might just be some crazy
> people out there using it this way.
>
> So Jamal, I think this is a good reason why we do need a new
> field instead of just overloading the current one.  Otherwise
> inbound selectors and forward selectors will have different
> semantics which is needlessly confusing.

So I followed the discussion up to about this point then confusion sets
in for me - in particular about loopback being used for policy_check()
which you guys seem to agree on.
Nod on:  IN+FWD should be treated the same way. Locally generated/OUT
works and I dont muck with that.
The current code is sufficiently clean such that all i need is to worry
about is __xfrm_policy_check() (which is invoked only for IN and FWD).
And thats the only thing i touch - the rest "works as it did before".

[Note: the flow struct used in __xfrm_policy_check() is local to it, so
my touching it affects only the scope of validation of IN/FWD. I dont
see loopback being used for policy check.
Note2: In the FWD policy check, the output dev hasnt been decided
yet at that point. So it sounds fair to define "dev blah" in FWD
direction to mean incoming device (as it is for IN/local destined).]

Q: So if all i want to achieve for now is to make sure that i can
specify a "dev blah" in the forward or in direction and have it work to
identify the incoming device, wouldnt this patch suffice?

I am attaching this patch with a fix to check for FWD as well if you
have a chance i would appreciate if you re-look at it again.

cheers,
jamal

View attachment "spd-fw-in" of type "text/x-patch" (5828 bytes)