Date:	Sat, 17 Apr 2010 09:35:39 +0200
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	hadi@...erus.ca
Cc:	Changli Gao <xiaosuo@...il.com>, Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, therbert@...gle.com,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, robert@...julf.net, andi@...stfloor.org
Subject: Re: rps perfomance WAS(Re: rps: question

Le vendredi 16 avril 2010 à 09:21 -0400, jamal a écrit :
> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 07:18 +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>

> > A kernel module might do this, this could be integrated in perf bench so
> > that we can regression tests upcoming kernels.
>
> Perf would be good - but even softnet_stat cleaner than the the nasty
> hack i use (attached) would be a good start; the ping with and without
> rps gives me a ballpark number.
>
> IPI is important to me because having tried it before it and failed
> miserably. I was thinking the improvement may be due to hardware used
> but i am having a hard time to get people to tell me what hardware they
> used! I am old school - I need data;-> The RFS patch commit seems to
> have more info but still vague, example:
> "The benefits of RFS are dependent on cache hierarchy, application
> load, and other factors"
> Also, what does a "simple" or "complex" benchmark mean?;->
> I think it is only fair to get this info, no?
>
> Please dont consider what i say above as being anti-RPS.
> 5 microsec extra latency is not bad if it can be amortized.
> Unfortunately, the best traffic i could generate was < 20Kpps of
> ping which still manages to get 1 IPI/packet on Nehalem. I am going
> to write up some app (lots of cycles available tommorow). I still think
> it is valueable.

I did some tests on a dual quad core machine (E5450  @ 3.00GHz), not
nehalem. So a 3-4 years old design.

For all test, I use the best time of 3 runs of "ping -f -q -c 100000
192.168.0.2". Yes ping is not very good, but its available ;)

Note: I make sure all 8 cpus of target are busy, eating cpu cycles in
user land. I dont want to tweak acpi or whatever smart power saving
mechanisms.

When RPS off
100000 packets transmitted, 100000 received, 0% packet loss, time 4160ms

RPS on, but directed on the cpu0 handling device interrupts (tg3, napi)
(echo 01 > /sys/class/net/eth3/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus)
100000 packets transmitted, 100000 received, 0% packet loss, time 4234ms

So the cost of queing the packet into our own queue (netif_receive_skb
-> enqueue_to_backlog) is about 0.74 us  (74 ms / 100000)

I personally think we should process packet instead of queeing it, but
Tom disagree with me.

RPS on, directed on cpu1 (other socket)
(echo 02 > /sys/class/net/eth3/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus)
100000 packets transmitted, 100000 received, 0% packet loss, time 4542ms

So extra cost to enqueue to a remote cpu queue, IPI, softirq handling...
is 3 us. Note this cost is in case we receive a single packet.

I suspect IPI itself is in the 1.5 us range, not very far from the
queing to ourself case.

For me RPS use cases are :

1) Value added apps handling lot of TCP data, where the costs of cache
misses in tcp stack easily justify to spend 3 us to gain much more.

2) Network appliance, where a single cpu is filled 100% to handle one
device hardware and software/RPS interrupts, delegating all higher level
works to a pool of cpus.

I'll try to do these tests on a Nehalem target.