Date:	Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:40:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:	Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@...hat.com>
To:	lists.linux-foundation.org@...hat.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
cc:	kaber@...sh.net, davem@...emloft.net
Subject: crash with bridge and inconsistent handling of NETDEV_TX_OK

Hi

I got this crash on 2.6.34-rc4 when using it as a bridge. The crash is not
reproducible. There are two interfaces, eth0 (sun-hme) and eth1 (tg3) and
there is a bridge between them.

The crash was in inlined function skb_drop_list, inlined from
skb_drop_fraglist from skb_release_data. The "list" pointer was 0x18.

This is backtrace:
skb_release_data+7c/e0
__kfree_skb+c/c0
dev_hard_start_xmit+288/3c0
sch_direct_xmit+12c/1c0
dev_queue_xmit+3fc/520
br_dev_queue_push_xmit+60/80
br_handle_frame_finish+100/1e00
br_handle_frame+168/240
netif_receive_skb+274/480
process_backlog+64/c0
net_rx_action+cc/180
__do_softirq+94/120

Settings for for eth0 and eth1 are:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp-segmentation-offload: off
udp-fragmentation-offload: off
generic-segmentation-offload: on
generic-receive-offload: off
large-receive-offload: off

For br0:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp-segmentation-offload: off
udp-fragmentation-offload: on
generic-segmentation-offload: on
generic-receive-offload: off
large-receive-offload: off

(there is no netfilter compiled on that machine)

I'm curious --- this code path in dev_hard_start_xmit is taken only if GSO
is used. From the trace, it can be seen that a packet was received by one
nic and forwarded by the bridge to the other nic. How could GSO be used in
this scenario?

---

Reviewing the code further, I found one very weird commit
572a9d7b6fc7f20f573664063324c086be310c42 committed to 2.6.33. What it
does, it changes the semantics of ndo_hard_start_xmit(). Prior to the
patch, the meaning was --- return zero (NETDEV_TX_OK) --- the skb is
consumed by the driver. Returns non-zero --- the skb is left owned by the
caller. The patch changes it to return other flags in bits 4-7 and changes
the consumed/returned logic.

The problem is that there is still plenty of code that compares it against
NETDEV_TX_OK to find out if the skb was consumed.

I don't know if this caused my crash (it is not reproducible), but the
patch is buggy and dangerous.

Handling of the return codes is inconsistent:
* most callers use dev_xmit_complete(int rc) { return rc <
NET_XMIT_MASK(0x0f); } to test if the skb was consumed. This seems to be
the method to be used intended by the developers. (why not <= 0x0f ?)

* dev_hard_start_xmit uses rc == NETDEV_TX_OK || rc & ~NETDEV_TX_MASK
(~0xf0) to test if the skb is consumed. This is differs from
dev_xmit_complete for some values.

net/core/netpoll.c : at two places, it compares the return value of
ndo_start_xmit with NETDEV_TX_OK
net/sched/sch_teql.c : compares with NETDEV_TX_OK
drivers/net/wan/dlci.c : ignores the return value of ndo_start_xmit

--- the above inconsistencies lead to situations where both the caller and
the callee think that they own the skb, and the result is memory
corruption.

If we grep for places that assume that the packet was consumed if the
return code is NETDEV_TX_OK, there are even more:
drivers/net/qla3xxx.c
drivers/net/chelsio/sge.c
drivers/net/wireless/hostap/hostap_80211_tx.c
drivers/net/wireless/ipw2x00/libipw_tx.c
drivers/net/sfc/selftest.c
net/mac80211/tx.c
--- Not all these cases are bugs, because sometimes the return value is
self-generated by the driver. But it is just confusing and it may trigger
bugs in the future.

---

I'd recommend to revert 572a9d7b6fc7f20f573664063324c086be310c42 because
it made several bugs (the code that compared the return value against
NETDEV_TX_OK was correct before and is buggy after the patch).
Furthermore, there may be hidden bugs, if someone compares the return
value with 0 and frees skb based on this comparison, it is impossible to
find it with grep, yet changing the meaning of return values would make a
bug here.

Mikulas