Date:	Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:51:05 +0200
From:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
To:	Chris Wright <chrisw@...hat.com>
Cc:	Scott Feldman <scofeldm@...co.com>, davem@...emloft.net,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [net-next,1/2] add iovnl netlink support

On Thursday 22 April 2010, Chris Wright wrote:

> > ip link add link eth0 type macvlan    # for a container
> > ip link add link eth0 type macvtap    # for qemu/vhost
> > ip link add link eth0 type vf         # for device assignment
>
> BTW, what do you mean by device assignment?

I mean giving an SR-IOV VF to the guest as a native PCI device
rather than having qemu or vhost present a virtio-net to the
guest.

> > There are obviously significant differences between these three, but
> > they also share enough of their properties to let us treat them
> > in similar ways.
> >
> > If we integrate the iovnl client into iproute2, the sequence for setting
> > up an enic VF and associating it to the port profile could be
> >
> > # create vf0, pass mac and vlan id to HW, no association yet
> > ip link add link eth0 name vf0 type vf mac fe:dc:ba:12:34:56 vlan 78
>
> Just to clarify...right now, the normal SR-IOV VF is already there.
> And, or course, can have its mac addr/vlan set already.

I don't have an SR-IOV card available for testing yet. How is this
configured now?

> > # associate vf with port profile, mac address must match the one assigned
> > #  to the interface before.
> > ip iov assoc eth0 port-profile "general" host-uuid "dcf2a873-f5ee-41dd-a7ad-802a544e48c2" \
> >        mac fe:dc:ba:12:34:56
>
> At that point you could just do s/mac fe:.*/link vf0/

My point was that this information should be irrelevant to the code doing the
association with the switch. It sort of makes sense when the receiver is enic,
but when we send the same data to lldpad, it doesn't care about the slave device
name but only about the mac address. Especially since the slave device might not
be in the root name space any more, meaning we have no way to find it.

	Arnd