Date:	Fri, 23 Apr 2010 12:00:18 -0700
From:	Anirban Chakraborty <anirban.chakraborty@...gic.com>
To:	Chris Wright <chrisw@...hat.com>
CC:	Scott Feldman <scofeldm@...co.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Ameen Rahman <ameen.rahman@...gic.com>,
	Amit Salecha <amit.salecha@...gic.com>,
	Rajesh Borundia <rajesh.borundia@...gic.com>
Subject: Re: eSwitch management

On Apr 23, 2010, at 9:23 AM, Chris Wright wrote:

> * Anirban Chakraborty (anirban.chakraborty@...gic.com) wrote:

>>> Or maybe the RTM_SETLINK IFLA_VF_* ops in include/linux/if_link.h?  Those
>>> seem like what you're looking for.  I'm looking at moving iovnl here as well
>>> for port-profile.
>>
>> It looks like ifla_vf_info does contain most of the data set. But if I use it, what NETLINK protocol family should I use in my driver to receive netlink messages? Do I need to create a private protocol family?
>
> No, you don't need to use netlink in your driver.  You just need to fill
> in the relevant net_device_ops in your driver init.  Specifically:
>
> *      SR-IOV management functions.
> * int (*ndo_set_vf_mac)(struct net_device *dev, int vf, u8* mac);
> * int (*ndo_set_vf_vlan)(struct net_device *dev, int vf, u16 vlan, u8 qos);
> * int (*ndo_set_vf_tx_rate)(struct net_device *dev, int vf, int rate);
> * int (*ndo_get_vf_config)(struct net_device *dev,
> *                          int vf, struct ifla_vf_info *ivf);
>
> These are all operating on a VF indexed internally w/in the driver, so it's
> a little cumbersome to use from userspace.

These are all intended for VFs and are configureable from PF. However, in our case, there are multiple physical NIC function on a port which are configureable by the eswitch. So, what we are setting is essentially switch ports, rather than configuring any setting on the physical functions. If netlink doesn't fly, is sysfs going to work? If we allocate a buffer and fill it up with user space tools that the driver grabs it and does the configuration itself?

thanks,
Anirban