Date:	Fri, 30 Apr 2010 22:15:09 +0200
From:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
To:	Paul LeoNerd Evans <leonerd@...nerd.org.uk>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] BPF program access to transport header

Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> Via the SKF_NET_OFF extension area, a BPF program has nice easy access
> to the network header, wherever it might happen to be in the packet.
> This makes it simpler to write filters on e.g. IPv4 headers, knowing
> that fields will always be at simple offsets relative to SKF_NET_OFF.
> Using the data at WORD[SKF_AD_PROTO] it's easy also to find out what
> network protocol this is.
>
> I would like to provide similar for the transport header. Without doing
> so, it is very hard to parse e.g. UDP or TCP headers that may be
> contained within IPv6 protocol, because of the linked-list way IPv6
> headers chain on to each other. BPF doesn't provide a while() loop or
> any kind of backward jump, meaning the filter program has to be
> loop-unrolled a static number of times. This quickly leads to very large
> programs.
>
> I forsee a number of issues with trying to provide this:
>
>  * How to provide the protocol number (e.g. 6 for TCP, 1 for ICMP) to
>    the BPF program

Using one of the registers?

>  * How to obtain the transport offset - AIUI, the skf_transport_offset()
>    won't actually be set yet by the time the filter program runs.

For IPv4 its trivial. For IPv6 you could use ipv6_skip_exthdr().
A slightly more flexible way would be to use something like the
netfilter ipv6_find_hdr() function to get the offset of any header
type. The protocol number could be returned in one of the registers
(the other one would contain the offset).

>  * What to do if the underlying protocol doesn't support a transport
>    layer above it - e.g. ARP.

I'd say simply abort the filter.