Date:	Tue, 1 Jun 2010 19:09:17 +0300 (EEST)
From:	Meelis Roos <mroos@...ux.ee>
To:	chas3@...rs.sourceforge.net
cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Fore 200 firmware

> >does not have to redo the detective work I am doing. Packaging it along
> >with linux-atm packages (atm-tools in Debian) does not seem correct, so
> >do we need to make a special firmware package out of it or just add to
> >some other firmware repo that is packaged already?
>
> i dont care which happens really.  i would to think it is part of
> atm-tools since the fore200e driver really isnt useful with the
> atm tools.

OK, so we should push the distro maintainers of it to create a suggested
firmware package or just include the fore firmware unconditionally -
once it is in released linux-atm.

> >What's the licence of the firmware anyway - unknown likely?
>
> it says the firmware is gpl.  look at fore200e_firmware_copyright
> in one of the old kernel distros.

Well, there is no source to fulfill the GPL... but there also should be
no problem redistributing it.

> >And we can probably remove drivers/atm/fore200e_pca_fw.c if we
> >distribute the firmware out of kernel tree.
>
> i dont think it is in the current net-next-2.6 tree?

Oops, you are right - I have updated my tree over several years and the
old files were just not removed from disk. But theay are gone from the
git, yes.

Thnak yo for your work on ATM - I intend to get a demo ATM network
running here in my computer museum.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos@...ux.ee)