Date:	Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:31:03 +0200
From:	Martín Ferrari <martin.ferrari@...il.com>
To:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	Mathieu Lacage <mathieu.lacage@...hia.inria.fr>,
	Alina Quereilhac <Alina.Quereilhac@...hia.inria.fr>
Subject: Announcing the netns library

Hi,

After a few months pestering this list with my bugs, I would like to
bive something back by showing what I have been working on, in case it
is useful for somebody.

The netns library is a Python library that tries to make it easy to
create a virtual network with realistic characteristics. It uses
namespaces for the virtual nodes, veth links and bridges to connect
them, and netem+tbf to emulate real world conditions. It is mainly
aimed at network research, and it is part of a bigger project called
NEPI, but I think netns is useful on its own, even when you just need
something to handle all the painful configuration to set up
namespaces.

Of course, at this stage the API is not stable, and there are bugs,
but the basic functionality is there.

You can see more information about it here:
http://yans.pl.sophia.inria.fr/trac/nepi/wiki/netns
The mercurial repository is here:
http://yans.pl.sophia.inria.fr/trac/nepi/wiki/netns

A sample script to show the basic usage:
http://yans.pl.sophia.inria.fr/code/hgwebdir.cgi/netns/file/tip/sample.py

Don't hesitate to contact me if you are interested or have doubts.

Martín.

--
Martín Ferrari