Date:	Wed, 13 Oct 2010 12:06:18 -0700
From:	David Daney <ddaney@...iumnetworks.com>
To:	Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@...il.com>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Question about PHY-less board and "fixed_phy"

On 10/13/2010 09:55 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'm working with an Atmel ARM9 board (macb driver), that doesn't have
> a PHY.
>
> The MAC is connected to a switch via MII.  That MII link is hard-wired
> to be 100M full-duplex.
>
>> From what I've been able to google, the "fixed_phy" driver is intended
> for this situation.  But from looking at the fixed.c source code it
> appears to provide an emulated MDIO bus.
>
> I don't want an emulated MDIO bus.
>
> I have a real, working MDIO bus.
>
> What I don't have is a PHY.
>
> The switch presents a bunch of logical slave devices (23, IIRC)
> attached to the MDIO bus, and I need use the MDIO bus to access those
> "devices" (mainly from user-space via ioctl() calls).  If I use the
> fixed_phy driver, it appears that it will hide the real MDIO bus and
> replace it with a fake one that's connected to a fake set of PHY
> registers.  That means I won't be able to access the the registers in
> the switch to which my MAC is connected.
>
> The ethernet/phy architecture seems to be based on several assumptions
> that aren't true in my case:
>
>   1) Every MAC is connected to a PHY.

As long as you handle calling netif_carrier_{on,off}() and some of the
ndo_do_ioctl commands, I don't think you need a PHY.

>   2) An MDIO bus is a point-to-point link between the MAC and the PHY.

This I don't think is the case.  See phy_connect() for example.  It
certianly allows for multiple PHYs per bus.

We have a SOC device (Octeon) that has many PHYs on a single MDIO bus,
and have a separate MDIO bus driver (mdio-octeon.c) that is shared
between all the Ethernet devices/drivers.

>   3) The MDIO bus belongs to the PHY.

??, The mdio bus lock is taken for some operations, but how does it
'belong to' the PHY?

>   4) It's OK to go out and read arbitrary registers from every device
>      on the MDIO bus when that bus is registered using mdiobus_register().

You can set the struct mii_bus phy_mask element to prevent probing of
specific addresses.