Date:	Thu, 28 Oct 2010 15:59:55 +0800
From:	"Joseph Chang" <joseph_chang@...l.davicom.com.tw>
To:	<macpaul@...estech.com>, <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:	<afleming@...escale.com>, <jeff@...zik.org>,
	<f.rodo@...-technologies.fr>
Subject: RE: About the Davicom PHY in drivers/net/phy in Linux kernel

Dear Mac Paul,

For you are using DAVICOM PHY in this case.

Our suggestion, please check below red comment text:

 * == > Would you tell us your:
	CPU = ?
	Linux Kernel version= ?
      I will like to download the same source code from LXR.
      And can check more detail for you.

+static int dm9161_config_aneg(struct phy_device *phydev) {
+	int err;
+
+	/* Isolate the PHY */
     err = 0;
+	//err = phy_write(phydev, MII_BMCR, BMCR_ISOLATE);
+
+	if (err < 0)
+		return err;
+
+	/* Configure the new settings */
+	err = genphy_config_aneg(phydev);
    err = phy_write(phydev, MII_BMCR, BMCR_ANENABLE | 0x200 );
+
+	if (err < 0)
+		return err;
+
+	return 0;
+}
+
+static int dm9161_config_init(struct phy_device *phydev) {
+	int err;
+
+	/* Isolate the PHY */
     err = 0;
+	//err = phy_write(phydev, MII_BMCR, BMCR_ISOLATE);
+
+	if (err < 0)
+		return err;
+
+	/* Do not bypass the scrambler/descrambler */
+	err = phy_write(phydev, MII_DM9161_SCR, MII_DM9161_SCR_INIT);
+
+	if (err < 0)
+		return err;
+
+	/* Clear 10BTCSR to default */
+	err = phy_write(phydev, MII_DM9161_10BTCSR, MII_DM9161_10BTCSR_INIT);
+
+	if (err < 0)
+		return err;
+
+	/* Reconnect the PHY, and enable Autonegotiation */
+	err = phy_write(phydev, MII_BMCR, BMCR_ANENABLE | 0x200 );
+
+	if (err < 0)
+		return err;
+
+	return 0;

Best Regards,
Joseph CHANG
System Application Engineering Division
Davicom Semiconductor, Inc.
No. 6 Li-Hsin Rd. VI, Science-Based Park,
Hsin-Chu, Taiwan.
Tel: 886-3-5798797 Ex 8534
Fax: 886-3-5646929