Date:	Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:26:55 +0200
From:	"Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@...hat.com>
To:	Simon Horman <horms@...ge.net.au>
Cc:	Jesse Gross <jesse@...ira.com>,
	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	Rusty Russell <rusty@...tcorp.com.au>,
	virtualization@...ts.linux-foundation.org, dev@...nvswitch.org,
	virtualization@...ts.osdl.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	kvm@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Flow Control and Port Mirroring Revisited

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 07:37:30AM +0900, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 08:54:15AM +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> > > Do you have a patch I could test?
> >
> > You can (and users already can) just run qemu with sndbuf=0. But if you
> > like, below.
>
> Thanks

> > > Perhaps I should have stated my goals more clearly.
> > > I'm interested in situations where I don't control the application.
> >
> > Well an application that streams UDP without any throttling
> > at the application level will break on a physical network, right?
> > So I am not sure why should one try to make it work on the virtual one.
> >
> > But let's assume that you do want to throttle the guest
> > for reasons such as QOS. The proper approach seems
> > to be to throttle the sender, not have a dummy throttled
> > receiver "pacing" it. Place the qemu process in the
> > correct net_cls cgroup, set the class id and apply a rate limit?
>
> I would like to be able to use a class to rate limit egress packets.
> That much works fine for me.
>
> What I would also like is for there to be back-pressure such that the guest
> doesn't consume lots of CPU, spinning, sending packets as fast as it can,
> almost of all of which are dropped. That does seem like a lot of wasted
> CPU to me.
>
> Unfortunately there are several problems with this and I am fast concluding
> that I will need to use a CPU cgroup. Which does make some sense, as what I
> am really trying to limit here is CPU usage not network packet rates - even
> if the test using the CPU is netperf.  So long as the CPU usage can
> (mostly) be attributed to the guest using a cgroup should work fine.  And
> indeed seems to in my limited testing.
>
> One scenario in which I don't think it is possible for there to be
> back-pressure in a meaningful sense is if root in the guest sets
> /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_default to a large value, say 2000000.
>

> I do think that to some extent there is back-pressure provided by sockbuf
> in the case where process on the host is sending directly to a physical
> interface.  And to my mind it would be "nice" if the same kind of
> back-pressure was present in guests.  But through our discussions of the
> past week or so I get the feeling that is not your view of things.

It might be nice. Unfortunately this is not what we have implemented:
the sockbuf backpressure blocks the socket, what we have blocks all
transmit from the guest. Another issue is that the strategy we have
seems to be broken if the target is a guest on another machine.

So it won't be all that simple to implement well, and before we try,
I'd like to know whether there are applications that are helped
by it. For example, we could try to measure latency at various
pps and see whether the backpressure helps. netperf has -b, -w
flags which might help these measurements.

> Perhaps I could characterise the guest situation by saying:
> 	Egress packet rates can be controlled using tc on the host;
> 	Guest CPU usage can be controlled using CPU cgroups on the host;
> 	Sockbuf controls memory usage on the host;

Not really, the memory usage on the host is controlled by the
various queue lengths in the host. E.g. if you send packets to
the physical device, they will get queued there.

> 	Back-pressure is irrelevant.

Or at least, broken :)

--
MST