Date:	Mon, 7 Feb 2011 10:08:08 -0800
From:	"Levy, Lior" <lior.levy@...el.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
Subject: RE: [net-next-2.6 2/3] igb: add support for VF Transmit rate limit

From: netdev-owner@...r.kernel.org [mailto:netdev-owner@...r.kernel.org] On Behalf Of David Miller
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 4:38 PM
To: Kirsher, Jeffrey T
Cc: Levy, Lior; netdev@...r.kernel.org; gospo@...hat.com; bphilips@...ell.com
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 2/3] igb: add support for VF Transmit rate limit using iproute2

From: Jeff Kirsher <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 04:29:38 -0800

> +	if (tx_rate != 0)
> +		dev_info(&adapter->pdev->dev,
> +		         "Setting Transmit rate of %d Mbps for VF %d\n",
> +		         tx_rate, vf);
> +	else
> +		dev_info(&adapter->pdev->dev,
> +		         "Transmit rate limit for VF %d is disabled\n", vf);

If you're going to print this, use netdev_info(netdev, ...).

But I think you shouldn't be logging anything at all.

No other ethtool operation logs what it did except in extremely
exceptional error conditions.  And there is nothing special
about this VF rate limiting ethtool operation to justify these
extraneous logging messages.

If people want to know if the VF is rate limited, and by how much,
then can query the configuration using ethtool.