Date:	Fri, 25 Feb 2011 22:36:39 -0300
From:	"Gustavo F. Padovan" <padovan@...fusion.mobi>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, linville@...driver.com,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, linux-bluetooth@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: pull request: wireless-next-2.6 2011-02-22

* Gustavo F. Padovan <padovan@...fusion.mobi> [2011-02-25 16:36:18 -0300]:

> Hi David,
>
> * David Miller <davem@...emloft.net> [2011-02-25 11:15:00 -0800]:
>
> > From: David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
> > Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:43:44 -0800 (PST)
> >
> > > From: "John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>
> > > Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 16:52:30 -0500

> > > Pulled, thanks a lot John.
> >
> > John a few things:
> >
> > 1) I had to add some vmalloc.h includes to fix the build on sparc64,
> >    see commit b08cd667c4b6641c4d16a3f87f4550f81a6d69ac in net-next-2.6
> >
> > 2) Something is screwey with the bluetooth config options now.
> >
> >    I have an allmodconfig tree, and when I run "make oldconfig" after
> >    this pull, BT_L2CAP and BT_SCO both prompt me, claiming that they
> >    can only be built statically.
> >
> >    I give it 'y' just to make it happen, for both, and afterways no
> >    matter how many times I rerun "make oldconfig" I keep seeing things
> >    like this in my build:
> >
> > scripts/kconfig/conf --silentoldconfig Kconfig
> > include/config/auto.conf:986:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for BT_SCO
> > include/config/auto.conf:3156:warning: symbol value 'm' invalid for BT_L2CAP
> >
> >    First, what the heck is going on here?  Second, why the heck can't these
> >    non-trivial pieces of code be built modular any more?
>
> We now have L2CAP and SCO built-in in the main bluetooth.ko module.
>

> >    You can't make something "bool", have it depend on something that
> >    might be modular, and then build it into what could in fact be a
> >    module.  That's exactly what the bluetooth stuff seems to be doing
> >    now.
>
> Seems I did the Kconfig change wrong, I'll fix it ASAP and send it to you
> guys.

I Figured the problem. When I first wrote this I based the work in other
Kconfig in net/ (as it was my very first time doing such kind of changes in a
Kconfig). For example, net/decnet/ and net/ax25/ do exactly the same as the
Bluetooth Kconfig. "bool" depending on "tristate" and build both together.

But doing another look after your report there is some places where this is
done a bit different, net/ipv6 and net/mac80211 are examples. Then I changed
to this new approach to remove the direct dependency from BT_L2CAP and BT_SCO.
Patch follows this e-mail.

That point me out that we may have other subsystems doing it wrong and we have
to fix this.

--
Gustavo F. Padovan
http://profusion.mobi